Recount :(
So I'm looking online to see whether The British Virgin Islands counts as a country or not. I'm sorry to say that (as feared) it's just a territory of Britain. So I can't count it as a country that I've been to. That got me thinking, so I looked up Curacao. Sure enough, the Dutch Antillies are classified as part of the Netherlands and therefore Curacao does not classify as a country. Disappointing, no? Well, I got thinking again. Grand Caymen is part of the UK too. So it doesn't count.
I guess I have to determine where I draw the line ... should I say my count as 21 countries and three overseas territories?? And do airports count? I guess I can make whatever rules I want.
What got me thinking is that Steve's on a job off of Colombia. He didn't set foot on the land, yet his passport got stamped. Does that count as a country that he's been to? Depends on his rules.
Wait, this is getting even more depressing... Bermuda doesn't count... and I guess I have to count Scotland and England as the UK instead of separate.... What's that leave me with? 19?
Canada, USA, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Panama, S.Korea, China, Japan, Philippines, France, UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Kiribati, Saint Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, Grenada
uggg, I don't like this new count. I think I'll make my rules to include overseas territories ... then I can say I'm at #24. I'll just have to be specific when I tell people my country count.
Comments?? Suggestions??
I guess I have to determine where I draw the line ... should I say my count as 21 countries and three overseas territories?? And do airports count? I guess I can make whatever rules I want.
What got me thinking is that Steve's on a job off of Colombia. He didn't set foot on the land, yet his passport got stamped. Does that count as a country that he's been to? Depends on his rules.
Wait, this is getting even more depressing... Bermuda doesn't count... and I guess I have to count Scotland and England as the UK instead of separate.... What's that leave me with? 19?
Canada, USA, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, Panama, S.Korea, China, Japan, Philippines, France, UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Kiribati, Saint Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, Grenada
uggg, I don't like this new count. I think I'll make my rules to include overseas territories ... then I can say I'm at #24. I'll just have to be specific when I tell people my country count.
Comments?? Suggestions??
2 Comments:
At 8:33 AM,
Carole said…
Jill - I say they count! As long as we all follow the same rules - it's not cheating! I've counted Scotland and England and Ireland as seperate, and I definitely count airports. However, you're still winning the race at 24!
At 7:08 AM,
Anonymous said…
Holy Hannah! 19... 24... you've still got most of us land-lubbers beat!!
M.
Post a Comment
<< Home