At work
We had our first confirmed case of H1N1 at school today. It wasn't one of my students, but it was a student in the same classroom that I teach in (I have to share a classroom with another teacher ... we're in there at the same time). A few weeks ago, the policy was to shut down (for 3 days) right away. Now they're less strict. Once three students in the same class are out sick the Health Board will decide if we have to close or not. If we shut down, we teachers still have to go to school. We'd have to prepare homework for the parents to pick up for the students to do.
This is the uniform I have to wear. The guys don't have to wear it as they don't have uniforms big enough for them.

I've always heard that bamboo was very strong and that they use it in place of rebar sometimes. I never believed it until I saw it here. Everywhere. That's all bamboo scaffolding around the building.
This is the uniform I have to wear. The guys don't have to wear it as they don't have uniforms big enough for them.
I've always heard that bamboo was very strong and that they use it in place of rebar sometimes. I never believed it until I saw it here. Everywhere. That's all bamboo scaffolding around the building.
2 Comments:
At 11:22 PM,
maureen said…
Wow, that mask is hardcore. Annoying, I bet...
At 8:55 AM,
Kevin said…
Crazy, eh ... the bamboo scaffolding. I remember looking at that twice the first time I was in HK. It might be solid enough, but I wonder how solid the rope is holding all that stuff together!? :-)
My wife has a similar mask at work (the company makes vaccines amongst other things), and I always tell her she looks like a duck. :) It's gotta suck to wear that all day, though, since you get all stuffy with the humidity and heat from your own breath, etc. Better than a really nasty flu, though! Take care.
Aside from the flu thing (kind of scary), looks like you're settling into HK nicely? The mentality there isn't always that great (forget ever getting a refund for ANYTHING), but I'm guessing it's a nice change from Korea and HK has it's definite positive sides. Plus you can do a lot of sight seeing since it's so cheap to travel around in taxis.
You can take the train to the border and cross over into Shenzhen and mainland China in an hour or so (which is why I usually travel to HK for work ... it's quicker to get a visa from Hong Kong than here in France), but I'm not sure it'll be that interesting since it's really the electronic manufacturing heartbeat of China but it's not that nice a city other than that (very polluted), and it's always risky to bring back all the counterfeits they make there. Lets you add one more country to the list if you haven't been there yet, though. (It's getting really hard to add new countries now ... The first 20 or so are easy, but after that if it's harder to add 2-3 new ones a year ... at least for me anyway.)
Have fun teaching anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to say hi in person sometime in the next couple months!
Post a Comment
<< Home