Jill

Rantings of a Traveller

Monday, February 19, 2007

Pear picking

I've been picking pears for the last week. 6am start times, on throughout the heat of the day (30+ here.... not like Tassie). It took us a while to get the hang of it and be productive, but we stuck it out for the week. I think that's admirable as the 9 other people who started with us quit after the first morning. We knew we'd get better at it. It was very hard work though. Our hands and arms are all scratched up from the branches... I couldn't turn my neck for a couple days cause I'd strained it, always looking up at the trees and carrying that heavy bag .... my hands are swollen when I wake up every morning. We had a couple days off, waiting for more to ripen, and we've decided to let ourselves give up. We're heading to another town instead, hoping to pick grapes instead. We'll see what happens.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Strawberries will be ripe here around mid-late June then you could take a week off to travel,and heal up,before blueberry season gets into full swing.Right after that you could head to the Valley and pick apples for a month or two!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home