Jill

Rantings of a Traveller

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Diving

I finally got to go scuba diving here in Bermuda. I paid for it through the shore excursions on the ship. I had a great time. Well, I was a little nervous at first, it being my first dive since my certification. Once I was down underwater I was alright though. I saw lots of gret fish and coral on my first dive, but honestly, I get to see all that when I snorkel here. The second dive was to a shipwreck though, and that was quite interesting. It sank in 1879 or something ... The Kate. The best part was the propeller ... four blades, one embedded right in the coral and the other 3 blades in the air... I mean water. It was definitely worth my money. I'm even considering going again, cause they changes dive sites... so maybe I'd get to see another wreck ... we'll see. Only 3 1/2 weeks left here. That's scary.
Oh, and I'll complain again that all my male friends are leaving ... one by one. Maybe it's me ...

2 Comments:

  • At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I only snorkled in Bermuda though I have done a LOT of scuba diving since in the caribbean area. From both experiences, I would say that snorkling is quite sufficient in Bermuda and right from the beaches - explore off the ends of the beaches along the rocks in 15 - 20 ft of water.

    When snorkling, you see, study, things from the surface, and maybe a quick dive to look at something in particular up close. With scuba, you can take your time at depth and FIND much smaller things and take the time to study them up close. But FINDING things takes a lot of experience or hiring a personal dive quide.

    Shore Snorkling with a couple local "Onions" is the best way to go in Bermuda.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hehe me again...

    "Wreck" dives with a group are fine for getting used to your "gear", but twenty gazillion people have already been there and it shows. The more you dive, the smaller the things you look at.

    A couple other ideas of things to do... based on when I was there long time ago...

    Explore the old train rightofways which are like footpaths now. Great way to meet locals.

    Go visit the dry moat in old Fort Hamilton. It was really wild when I was there and closed to the public. The local police had a pistol practice range in the moat on the back side from the main entrance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home