Jill

Rantings of a Traveller

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Power of Suggestion

The other day one of our co-workers mentioned that we both looked like we were losing weight. She eats lunch with us and knew that we had been cutting down on our rice intake at lunchtime. She asked us what our secret was. We told her we'd been going to the gym and trying to eat healthier. We also mentioned that we had cut out beer and fast food like McDonald's.

Upon our mention of McDonald's she exclaimed that McDonald's had a sale on... about 2.66CDN for the meals. Uh oh.

That night when we had nothing in the cupboards for dinner (and B didn't feel like shopping/cooking), guess where we ended up. That's right. We had Big Macs. I couldn't resist. Brian tried to resist, but I influenced him even more.

I know myself. If I resisted the Big Mac that night, I would have eaten some chocolate or something to quell my urge for McDonald's. Then, 3 or 4 days later I would think of those cheap Big Macs again, and I would substitute my urge with another treat like ice cream or chips. The next time, I would probably cave and go get a Big Mac. By satisfying my craving right away, I get by without eating those other treats. Now that I've had my Big Mac I'm very sure I can resist the urge for another couple of months.

If she just didn't mention that sale at McD's, it would never have crossed our mind to go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home